Thursday, May 31, 2007

heading home



for the next four days, i will be here (props to anyone who can find me in the picture) -- henley island, in old port dalhousie, st. catharines, ontario, for the CSSRAs (canadian secondary school rowing association), the biggest high school regatta in north america affectionately known to all rowers as "the schoolboys". the girls i coach here in kingston are heading to the henley course to compete and in my capacity as assistant coach, i'll be there to cheer them on, duct tape, extra speed washers, and trusty wrench in hand.

as i've confessed in another post, heading home to attend a regatta is a strange sort of home coming. i always manage to fit in a visit with mom and time with my best friend, jenn, but the me i have to be while on the island is both foreign and familiar to the me i am in other st. catharines contexts. it's a blurring of two worlds that always sends me into a bit of a tailspin. throw in my recently sustained psychic wounding due to moving house, and all i know is that i better pack my running stuff -- the only cure for what ails me will be long runs on the trail that follows the curving path of 12 mile creek.

i'm back on sunday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bardiac said...

Cool! Have a great and safe trip, and good luck to your rowers!

10:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home