Thursday, January 17, 2008

my linguistic influences

we all know about uncle ted, but tonight, while talking to kiki, i found myself reflecting on others who have had a profound influence on my linguistic development.

from CM, who was the initial creator of uncle ted, i've learned to say boy (pronounced "bye") with proper east coast gusto, and between the two of us, we've developed the aural equivalent of a dismissive hand gesture: "pfffbvvt".

from G, i've discovered the liberation that comes with a heartily uttered "goddammit". i've also appropriated her term of endearment for one's workplace: the orifice. we've had lots of wurd fun coming up with possible band names (remember our brief stint as "The MAGIC Markers"?). strangely, during my sojourn across the pond, she has found herself saying "ack" and "narf" a lot.

but i can say wholeheartedly that kiki has been perhaps the most influential in, er, expanding my colourful vocabulary. along with teaching me how to properly savour a well-timed expletive (i think she would have been very pleased with the stream i let loose the other day on the misbehaving photocopier), she has also given me these fantastic gems:

"contraband banana"

"phlegm fatale"

and tonight's treasure,

"Machiavellian sisterhood"

listen and learn, my friends, listen and learn.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, so nice . . .
But don't dismiss your own colourful fav - "sucks ass".

2:28 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

And my all time favorites -
a) Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck = self explanatory (stolen from eric cartman)
b) Fliberty flou! = don't entrench me with your dogma!

10:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home