Tuesday, January 15, 2008

good things

a list of good Castle-y things (in no specific order), excerpted from an e-mail to G:

-My new friends Eric and Rachel who took me to Eastbourne on the weekend. Rachel and I have been having the most amazing music chats both virtually and in real time. Eric is the first person I've met who is as nuts about old movies as I am. I made a reference at the dinner table to other night to some obscure B&W movie, and Eric had *seen it.

-Running outside. I did my first run to the village yesterday (around 5K, I think), and foolishly timed it so that I had to run the last leg of it in the nearly dark. I was running down a little-used road that comes into the back of the Castle property that's lined with hedgerows and the only light I had was the moon, but it was so bright ... Wow.

-Much Ado Books and the Badger Tea Room in Alfriston, both places I visited on Sunday with Rachel and another new friend, Peter. The Badger has to be experienced first-hand if only for the sponginess of the cake and the gawdyness of the china pattern. Much Ado was where I found a first edition of Nick Bantock's The Venetian's Wife, a book that changed my life. I also had to put back (oh the pain!) a first edition of Graham Greene's The End of the Affair.

-I'm no longer afraid of, or intimidated by, Thomas Carlyle. I suppose teaching someone does that, eh? He used to make me feel horribly inadequate, but no longer! In fact (how's this for ego), I pity him.

-My bass. I'm finding it easier to play here.

-A really considerate e-mail from a student, offering to send me a book I had lent him last term that he'd forgotten to return. He remembered that when I'd lent him this book, I'd told him how I was nervous about lending it because I'd lent it out twice before and didn't get it back, and how I didn't want to have to buy *yet another copy. In the e-mail he apologized for not getting in touch before the holidays and then offered to airmail the book ASAP. Books you lend out actually DO come back. Neat, huh?

more good to come ... i promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home