Sunday, February 04, 2007

superbowl for victorianists



tonight, my local pbs station is screening the new bbc/masterpiece theatre adaptation of jane eyre -- all 4 hours back to back. we're approaching half time and so far, as filmic interpretations go, there's only been one nasty play.

in the novel, there's a fantastic scene where rochester disguises himself as a fortune teller in order to not only expose the shallow character of miss blanche ingram, but also to probe the depths of his beloved jane. there's so much at play in this moment -- lots of wonderful ambiguity flying about concerning rochester's manliness and his presumed whiteness/britishness. in this film adaptation, rochester hires a gypsy woman and hides behind a curtain so as to better overhear jane's unguarded conversation with the woman. i suppose there's a "gossip/eavesdropping" angle that could be worked if one wanted to discuss the effect this scene has on eddie f's virility, but it just isn't the same.

post-half time, the game will be riding on how the film handles two things: 1) the explanation and exposure of bertha and 2) the portrayal of saint john (yes, yes, "sinjun") rivers.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear, that is horrible. Rochester as the fortune-teller is one of the best parts of the book! That's just stupid. Also, the Rochester pictured above your post is NOT the Rochester in my head :*(

Is the BBC Jane Eyre on DVD yet? I wish I had cable..

I did the first half of my lecture on Jane Eyre today!!!! Weeeeee!

12:35 p.m.  
Blogger Phil said...

So, did post-half-time go as badly for this adaptation as it did for the Bears?

Giddy me, finally figgered out how to post comments under another name (it was circuitous, but easily done). . . You google my real name and all sorts of idiocy comes up. All because of the Blogger to Google format disaster. Ugh.

Now. Let's go flaming with my new identity. . . Only you know.

10:01 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda Bonner said...

"Cleophila" *wink wink*, your secret's safe with me. i have a whole stack of notes on the adaptation b/c i'm going to talk about it with my undergrads (i made them all watch it -- it's on the syllabus. i want to get them thinking about film adaptations of novels as arguments about the text, etc. ...)but i have yet to post any of my further musings. ack. weekend project. it's either that or cleaning out my storage closet where i'm afraid i might find mice. NOT a tough choice!

11:00 p.m.  
Blogger devious said...

i'm late. shame on me.
but i love jane eyre. i just do.

i didn't even know there was a new film adaptation out. i am eager.

7:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home