Wednesday, January 24, 2007

wisdom from uncle ted

recently, i identified confessing mermaid's doppleganger in the television personality of supernanny. this evening, after i had peppered my conversation with one too many memorable aphorisms, cm declared that my doppleganger had to be her imaginary uncle ted. in a brief phone conversation i managed to let drop these three memorable bombs of colloquial charm: "yeah, you're sure stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea"; "oh, hon ... the game is afoot"; and perhaps my favourite, "so he's given up tilting at windmills, huh?" apparently, these are all things cm's uncle ted would say. this is in fact difficult to verify as uncle ted, as cm pointed out several times, is imaginary. because of this, it's quite difficult to locate a picture of him, so to satisfy visual curiosity, i've googled "uncle ted" and come up with the following images of what he might look like. i'm not sure that any of them look like me in an uncanny way. nevertheless, i'm happy he's my doppleganger, if only linguistically.

an early shot of uncle ted

uncle ted and the equally imaginary, and due to her red hat, even more mythic, aunt ellen

uncle ted as i've always imagined him

i have a sneaking suspicion that this is closer to the reality of uncle ted

4 Comments:

Blogger Meagan said...

oh my god, this post made me spit tea all over my computer!!!! Hahahahhahahahaha...
uncle ted...

i'm sorry i can't be more articulate...victorian novels eat brain...

speaking of, can we talk via that new fangled invention called a Tellyphone soon????????? Thanks for making me laugh today, i NEEDED IT more than you can imagine.

oh, and please move to halifax.
thank you.
:)

10:19 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda Bonner said...

i'm declaring this sunday (jan 28) "national phone meg day". wait. bad idea. then 1000s of people will phone you and the line will always be busy when i try to call.

okay, i'll declare sunday "national shannon phones meg day" there. now i can call and stay on the phone with you forever and no one can do anything about it.

ha.

4:07 p.m.  
Blogger Meagan said...

sweeeeeeeet. sunday it is. i can't wait!!!!!!!

12:29 p.m.  
Blogger 00 said...

UNCLE TED! At the BBQ! Perfect. I think if you get rid of the guy with the ATV, and I'm sorry to say "interesting" fashion sense" You might just have it. Now if only I could remember your nickname. Crap. On my birthday you'll tell me? Or if I'm really sad one day? I could get sad because this is driving me insane!

5:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home