Wednesday, October 04, 2006

hubris

why do i do this? why, when i know it's going to rain like nobody's business, do i refuse to carry an umbrella to school, thinking that i can somehow outsmart the coming weather? do i think that it's going to not rain, just for me? just so i can walk smugly home to have the pleasure of watching the rain beat down against my living room window from inside my dry, warm apartment? and why do i tempt fate further by putting on my sunglasses? it's ridiculous.

i can be such an idiot sometimes. correction: i can be a pompous idiot sometimes. i will soon be, if i choose to leave the confines of my office, a pompous, wet idiot. even better.

postscript: so as i'm walking home, cursing my hubris once again as water cascades off the tip of my nose and drips onto my canvas jacket (my hoodless canvas jacket, i should add), i run into andrea who after a brief chat, offers me her umbrella, even though she is heading in the opposite direction. she's a smart girl, wearing a goretex jacket with a hood, so she'll arrive at her destination nice and dry and one up in the good deed department. i arrived home wet, cold, grumpy and embarrassed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home