Wednesday, July 19, 2006

my new vice

so i have a new vice.
it all started innocently enough.
we were standing around outside the boathouse on monday afternoon; my doubles partner shani and i were waiting for our coach so we could go out for our afternoon row. our cox, karen, was waiting for some of our other crewmates to arrive so that they could tackle this week's cleaning roster duties (masters women = the women's changeroom. ick.). karen had brought along a bottle of pop to give her a much needed afternoon caffeine burst. i was shocked to discover that the flavour was diet cherry vanilla dr pepper. so much goodness all in one can. i voiced my amazement.

later that evening, shani called me as she was trawling through the isles of a local discount store while looking for a 10 mm wrench to fill me in on the whirlwind dating life she's been living for the past two weeks (that's another story!). while we were talking, something about the tone of my voice (it must have been the longing) inspired her to look for the pop that i had been coveting earlier. at practice on tuesday morning, there sitting on the scarred blue picnic table outside the boathouse was a bottle of diet cherry vanilla dr pepper, all for me.
i think i've fallen in carbonated beverage love. the lines to that song recorded by frank sinata run through my head:

I get no kick from champagne.
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all,
So tell me why should it be true
That I get a kick out of you?

Some get a kick from cocaine.
I'm sure that if I took even one sniff
That would bore me terrific'ly too
Yet I get a kick out of you.

last night, during a trip to the grocery to buy some cat food, i discovered it in cans, on sale. i promptly transported a case home and stuck it in the fridge. i packed a can in my lunch this morning and am currently sitting in the fireplace reading room at the library, sipping while i type. it feels wonderfully illicit.

2 Comments:

Blogger 00 said...

If that is your new vice, I'm not being a bad enough influence on you! Girl we gotta get out dancing!

4:29 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda Bonner said...

if you think about the chemical content of one can, and what it's doing to my body, it sounds much more edgy.

but yes, i agree ... i need to get out more.

no dancing with street cleaners though; i think that's a little out of my league! :op

4:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home